Hickory Grange Hall
In 1871 John E. Taylor bequeathed the land, on which this building now stands, to the Rileyville Union (Methodist Episcopal) Church and a year later a frame building was constructed on fieldstone foundation at a cost of $2,800. Their Building Committee consisted of Sidney Coons, Samuel K. Vail, Jackson Latourette, Virgin Brooks, and John Varcoe. Situated on the Cocheton (New York)-Great Bend (Susquehanna Co. Pennsylvania) Turnpike it soon became a central meeting place for Lebanon Township.
In 1915 the Hickory Grange was granted a ninety-nine year lease by the church. Since then this hall of the local lodge of the Patrons of Husbandry has hosted community square dances, plays on the stage upstairs, holiday and private parties, funeral and election day dinners, flea markets, and craft shows besides the organization's meetings. It currently is Lebanon Township's polling place and there is interest in its preservation and continued use.
As you stop at the intersection of Routes 191 and 371 take note of the building's distinctive arched windows and think of all that has passed by them in the last one hundred and twenty-five plus years.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.