The Randall Wilmot Mansion
In 1827 Randall Wilmot built the magnificent structure which stands at the end of Wayne Street, employing John Gustin who had built his former home for Solomon Moore. He lived here only until 1832, when he removed to Dimock, PA.
In 1841 Rev. Willard Richardson purchased it for a female seminary, as he was establishing what became the University of Northern Pennsylvania. He sold it in 1848 to Judge Nathaniel B. Eldred.
The Mansion was later owned by A.B. Gammell who operated it as a hotel called the Eldred House. It remained in the Gammell family for several generations. Russell Gammell, a grandson, served Bethany as mayor.
A series of owners then used the building, leaving it in sad condition, until it was purchased by Dennis and Donna Corrigan in 1991. The Corrigans, who are artists, faithfully and thoroughly restored it using it as an Art Gallery and their residence.
ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Historic Preservation Award given in 1993 to Dennis & Donna Corrigan for their restoration of this property.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.