The Dorflinger-Suydam House
- White Mills
The Dorflinger Suydam House is the centerpiece of the Wildlife Sanctuary established by the will of Dorothy Grant Suydam in memory of her husband Frederick Suydam. grandson of Christian Dorflinger, builder of a glass making empire which became one of Wayne County's greatest assets.
The building houses a museum of the works of the Dorflinger factory. Many changes have been made to the original farm house, including tastefully done additions to house the museum established since 1980 when Roger M. Blough began developing the Sanctuary organization to fulfill the terms of Mrs. Suydam's will.
Christian Dorflinger had purchased the farm in 1862 from a good friend, Captain Aaron Flower. who had been a North River pilot and hotel proprietor in New York. Flower had purchased the farm in 1850 and was operating it as a hotel. Because of ill health. Dorflinger was spending time there, away from his home and business in New York. He eventually decided to move his glass business and home to White Mills.
Dorflinger later built a hotel to house his family and rented the farmhouse. His daughters inherited it upon his death in 1915 and it became the home of his third daughter. Mary Elizabeth Dorflinger Suydam, whose son Frederick and his wife Dorothy used it for a summer home.
ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: ORIGINAL FARM HOUSE: FEDERAL (ADAM) STYLE
EXHIBITION WING: (1988) MODERN INTERPRETATION OF EARLIER SECTIONS OF THE BUILDING
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.