Richard Henwood House
Parkway Drive. Honesdale
Richard Henwood purchased land from Armory Prescott in 1851. Henwood turned the properly into a 115-acre farm and butchering plant. It was located on a dirt road in Texas Township. Today the area is Parkway Drive in Honesdale Borough. An 1870 photograph shows the large, white brick farmhouse very similar to the way it looks today.
Richard Henwood was born 1815 in Cornwall. England. and came to America in 1837. He became a leader in the community. He was director of the first Wayne County Agricultural Society and the Wayne County Savings Bank. as well as an incorporator of the Glen Dyberry Cemetery. He was elected commissioner and auditor of Wayne County.
In 1874. he sold his farm, butchering plant, and meat market (located at 7th and Main Sweets in Honesdale) to Henry Hartung who had a mercantile business in Seelyville. The Hartung family owned this property until 1940 when the house and 36 acres were sold to Kelsey K. and Laura Olver. In 1994, after Mr. and Mrs. Olver's death, the house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Gaudioso.
The two-story, white brick house has symmetrically placed windows, paired-end chimneys, and recessed front door. This former farmhouse is now a five-apartment house, and the surrounding land is a residential development. This is an example of our changing times.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.