Beach Lake Inn
The Folk Victorian building pictured is the Beach Lake Inn. It was known as Spry's Guest House during the Beach Lake hoarding house era.
A brochure published in the 1960s listed the Spry's Guest House as a "clean, modern accommodation. hot and cold running water in all rooms. Fine food. C. Beemer Spry, proprietor."
In 1850 George Wells built a store, hotel and approximately twenty houses to establish a settlement at Beech Pond (in 1895 it became known as Beach Lake). Your Heritage in Bench Lake, by Isabel Baldwin, states: "The hotel must have been one of the first houses erected. Its site, the corner where Spry's Guest House now stands, was a strategic one placed as it was on the turnpike (Honesdale and Delaware Plank Road). The inn accommodated passengers on the stage route and in 1850 temporarily housed sixteen persons."
The Spry family goes back to the early Beech Pond settlers. In the twentieth century Charles Spry had a general store and post office in this building, then his son William used it for his taxidermy business. After William's death his brother C. Beemer opened Spry's Guest House.
In the 1990's Roy and Erica Miller converted the building to a country inn and restaurant.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.