Hamlin In 1808 Harris Hamlin moved from Connecticut to Salem Corners, which became known as Hamlinton and later as Hamlin. In the early 1800s Harris Hamlin built the first frame house in the area on the lot where this house stands today on Route 191 near the four corners. The old house was moved with a team of oxen to stand alongside a quiet country road. That house still exists, but the country road had become Hamlin's busy Route 590. Harris Hamlin's son, Judge Butler Hamlin, Sr. and his wife Sallina had this elegant Victorian house constructed in 1874. When it was built it had a cistern to collect rainwater for the bathrooms. Carbide gas was made on the premises and used for lighting purposes. Gas was replaced with electricity in 1943 when Laverne Shaffer owned the property. Every room, including the servants' quarters which were located in the rear of the house, had a fireplace. Emma Hamlin and daughter Alice were the last family members to live here. Emma died in the early 1940's. There were several owners since then. Over the years changes have been made at the rear of the house. Sheila Weller then owned this historic home.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.