Hawley Pennsylvania Coal Company sold lot No 1 in Hawley in 1866. Ernst Von Eckartsberg purchased that corner lot from Christian Buck in 1902, and erected this three story brick building. It became Hotel Belvidere. In 1907 Hotel Belvidere was sold by sheriff sale to Rodney T. Matinsen. During Matinsen's ownership, a city directory mentioned a bowling alley and brewery in the hotel's basement. This Main Street building had several owners and was known as the Hawley Inn until the 1900s. In 1994, Michael and Dorothy Fenn purchased the property and it became the Falls Port Inn and Restaurant. (From 1848 to 1849 Hawley was called Falls Port.) The building was completely restored, and has become comparable to the hotel Ernst Von Eckartsberg once owned. The exterior of this classic, red brick, Renaissance Revival commercial building's window frame styles vary on each floor. The word "Belvidere" is visible on the corner fascia. The inn's twelve upstairs guest rooms are furnished with antiques from the Victorian period. The three downstairs dining rooms have 14 foot ceilings, reflecting the period the building was built. In 1998 the Falls Port Restaurant received the National Golden Fork Award. Historic Preservation Award given in 2006 to Mary Grieve & Stephen Smith for exterior /interior renovation of this property.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.