Honesdale In 1853, the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company sold this land at 709 Church Street to Egbert Reed. Augustus Hartung purchased the property from Joseph Gary in 1863 and sold it to John and Margaret Coleman in 1889. It is not known which early owner built the house. John Coleman was a merchant who owned a feed store located at the southern end of Main Street. His customers were "canalers" who purchased grain for their mules Through the years ownership of this Church Street property passed from one Coleman family member to another until in 1968, Mrs. Frances Coleman Walsh, granddaughter of John and Margaret Coleman became the owner. It was in the Coleman family for over one hundred years. Prior to Mrs Walsh receiving the property, the house had not been inhabited for thirty years. After extensive restoration, Mrs. Walsh and her husband William brought it back to its original elegance. They purchased the adjoining house from Edna Cole Osborne in 1988. The property was then occupied by the offices of James and Judie Kalbaugh's "The Weekly Almanac". The foyer has the original 20 foot walnut staircase. The architectural style is Greek Revival. The full facade porch enhances the beauty of the house.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.