Preston Township This classic white country church on the hill above Shehawken Lake was the dream of Jane Woodmansee Sanford. Her leadership inspired the community and in 1883 construction was begun on land donated by A. R. Dix. The first trustees were Mr. Dix, H. P. Stanton, E. J. Sanford, S. E. Stanton, and F. E. Kilpatrick, Henry P. Stanton supervised the building of the church. Stone for the foundation was quarried on the farm of F. C. Haynes and the carpentry work directed by Altman Fuller. In September of 1883 the shell of the new church was completed. Jane Woodmansee Sanford died unexpectedly of pneumonia and her funeral was the first service held in the church. Dedication was held in October of that year and the charter granted by Judge Seeley in December. Early records show there were bracket lamps on all the window frames and a large center chandelier of eight kerosene lamps. A bell, an organ, and stained glass windows were early acquisitions. Behind the pulpit Ben Kidder of Starrucca painted blue curtains flung open and on the curved molding above were the words- I BRING YOU TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY. The church was renovated in 1937 and in 1964 an education wing was added. A bequest of the late Richard Stanton enabled the church to completely renovate the interior in 1998. Historic Preservation Award given in 1998 to the Shehawken United Methodist Church for the interior restoration of their sanctuary.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.