White Mills Eugene Dorflinger was born in France in 1847 and came to America in 1860 to work for his first cousin, Christian Dorflinger, in his Greenpoint, Long Island glass factory. Eugene came to White Mills in 1866 when the Dorflinger factory was being established there. The earliest dated pieces of glass from the new factory are a pair of cologne bottles engraved "Clotilde C King, Dec. 25, 1868." They are on display in the Dorflinger Glass Museum in White Mills. Eugene and Clotilde were married in 1869 and raised ten children in the house built for them on Charles Street. Eugene Dorflinger ran the Dorflinger and Hankins General Store, which is still standing on the corner of Charles Street and the present Rt.6. He was also the White Mills Erie Railroad Station agent and was Colonel of the Dorflinger Guards. He died in April of 1901 after being struck by an Erie train. A photograph of the house taken in the late 1800s depicts a very snowy day with horse and cutter coming down the hill. At the time the house had a large porch across the front and west side, with a circular domed corner. The lovely Victorian gazebo was closer to the house than now and an iron fence surrounded the property. The porch has since been removed, but the steep roof. front facing gable, and decorative vergeboards are typical of Gothic Revival architecture. In 1978, Eugene's grandson, Robert Beilman was successful in listing the property on the National Register for Historic Places as part of the former Dorflinger Estate.
Line Drawing by
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.