Hawley Settlers Inn began life as a dream of Hawley businessmen in the 1920s. As Lake Wallenpaupack was nearing completion, Hawley citizens raised funds to build a hotel, to be known as the Hawley Community Hotel, on land that had once been the Delaware and Hudson Canal bed. Two years later when the building was almost finished the stock market crash brought an end to work on the project. It sat empty through the depression and World War II. Work was resumed in 1947 and the hotel opened the following year. It passed through several owners and was used over the years as a nursing home, an inn, and a private school. In 1980 Grant and Jeanne Genzlinger bought the building and began a careful restoration. Today the Settlers Inn is widely known for its creative regional cuisine, its warm hospitality, and beautiful herb and flower gardens. This Tudor style building has steeply pitched roofs, front facade gables and leaded casement windows. The huge natural bluestone fireplace and old chestnut beams continue the feeling of an English country house. Eighteen suites and rooms are decorated with wicker and antiques. Surely, the citizens of 1920 Hawley would be elated to see their dreams fulfilled.
Line Drawing by
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.