Honesdale The large brick house at 211 Park Street, Honesdale was built in 1867 by John Brown. He was born in Cornwall. England in 1826 and came to Honesdale in 1842. John Brown learned the trade of chair making with A B. Miller and in 1850 bought his employer's business. In 1869 Brown built a three story brick building next to the Wayne Hotel. A photograph in "Illustrated Wayne County", 1900 shows the store lettered "Parlor and Chamber Furniture" and on the side wall, "Brown's Cheap Furniture Store". John Brown's son. L. Samuel Brown became a funeral director of the establishment. John Brown and then his son lived in the house at 211 Park Street. In 1941, Aramis Van Deusen and his wife Grace bought the property and converted it to a two family residence. Mr. Van Deusen was locally famous for his wonderful Van Deusen candy. Attorney Stephen Jennings and his wife Beth purchased the house in 1985 and restored it to its former grandeur. The house has ten foot ceilings, original chestnut doors and woodwork, and an unusual curved chestnut banister on the open staircase. The hipped roof capped by a square cupola, wide overhanging eaves with decorative brackets. tall narrow arch windows, and double doors grace the facade of this Italianate style house.
Line Drawing by
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.