Milanville Built in 1815, the Nathan Skinner house is one of the oldest houses in Wayne County. In 1813, Nathan Skinner decided to build a house and began cutting logs with a pair of men on Tammany Flats, which is across the river from Cochecton. Tammany Flats was where the Skinners were living. By 1815, each carpenter had built part of the house, which they rafted down the Delaware River, and then pulled up a 30 foot rise ramp which they had dug. The two nonidentical halves were then joined. For the next two years the carpenters lived in the structure, finishing it off at which time the Nathan Skinner family moved in. The Skinners had made their money from logging. Nathan's father, Daniel, was the first to raft entire trees to Philadelphia which among other things, were used at ship's masts. Nathan's son, Calvin, took over the house in 1820 and lived there until his death in 1897. From 1920 to 1951 the house was rented out and in 1967 it was bought by Arthur Perron who built the garage. Clarence and Margaret Poland purchased the property in 1986. Their restoration efforts greatly improved the property and the area.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.