Dyberry William and Susan Fritz Ridd are the fifth generation of their family to own Dyberry Farms in Oregon Township. In 1842 George Kimble, son of 1816 settler Ma Kimble, bought a sawmill and 100 acres on Big Brook from Charles and Daniel Hoel. One acre of land had been cleared. George Kimble built a house (lived in today by Mrs. Robert Ridd) and began to clear the land. Lumber was rafted down the Delaware and in the early years brought six dollars a thousand board feet. By 1880 George Kimble had cleared 230 acres and owned 450. Ella Kimble, daughter of George and his second wife Lucetta Schoonover, married John Ridd. John's father, also named John, had sailed from Devonshire, England in 1825 and had come to Wayne County through Canada. The Ridds continued the family business with the farming operation becoming increasingly important. Their son Russell and grandson John Robert also worked the land and improved the family business. Now William and Susan Ridd and their son William John. Jr. operate the farm. Travelers driving north on Route 191 through Dyberry are always refreshed by the view of the Ridd's Barn across the farm pond. In this era of rapid change it is heartening to find a beautiful property continually improved for over 150 years by the same family.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.