Hawley The First Presbyterian Church of Hawley was founded in 1849 by three couples from Honesdale Presbyterian Church and one newly baptized person. It was granted a charter in 1851 as the First Presbyterian Societv of Hawley. The increasing congregation raised funds of $3000 and built a small wooden church on Prospect Street that same year. In 1875 a manse was built next to the church. In 1878 land was purchased on Church Street as a site for a new church. Twelve years later funds had been raised to cover the cost and the present Queen Anne Stick style church was built. "On a Thursday afternoon, October 16, 1890 the church bell summoned the congregation to the dedication service in the new building." The old church on Prospect Street was "purchased for 5200 and moved to town for business purposes." The flood of 1942, a fire in 1944, and the ravaging flood in August 1955 caused repeated massive damage to the church. but each time repairs were made and the congregation endured. In 1992 Blough Fellowship Hall was added to the rear of the church providing space for the Sunday School, nursery, kitchen and a large room for meetings. A house on Chestnut Street given by Roger and Helen Blough, is now used as a manse.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.