Bethany After the surveying and laying out of Bethany in 1800 the borough lots were sold at auction. Henry Drinker, Esq., of Philadelphia, a land proprietor in Wayne County, and the original owner of all of Bethany, retained lot 117. He employed John Bunting, a Quaker from Canaan Township, to build a house upon it the following year. During the winter of 1801-1802, Jason Torrey. who was employed by Drinker as a surveyor. rented the home for his family while their home across the street was being built Beginning in 1805 John Bunting operated it as a hotel giving it the distinction of being the "first licensed house of public entertainment in Bethany". In 1807 John Miller rented it and it was known as the "Yellow Tavern House". Henry Drinker sold the property in 1812 to Eliphalet Kellogg, a Revolutionary War veteran and tavern owner who held several government appointments. During Kellogg's and his daughter, Sarah's ownership, a red sign swung outside bearing Masonic emblems which invited travelers. The Bethany Masonic Lodge was formed there in 1816. The property changed hands several times but remained a hotel until about 1900. In 1939 it was sold to Alta Noble, mother of Judson, who, with his wife Dorothy, made it their year round home in 1984.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.