1n 1792 Jirah Mumford came from Connecticut to settle in what was then called Stanton, founded originally by Asa Stanton in virgin wilderness. The first Deed Book in Wayne County annals shows a transaction between Mumford and Samuel Meredith. who had been granted 3000 acres in that area for service to his country as First Treasurer of the United States and as a General during the Revolutionary War. A statue to Meredith stands in the park in Pleasant Mount. The 2nd deed recorded in Deed Book One shows the transfer of land from Meredith to Mumford on which Jirah proceeded to erect a plank house in 1792. In 1796 he built a large post and beam section addition. The first wedding in Pleasant Mount took place in front of the fireplace in the Mumford House. 1t is reputed that Honesdale's Jennie Augusta Brownscombe painted a picture of this subject. The wedding was that of Mary Mumford to Silas Kellogg. The Mumford House remained in the same family until 1912 when it was purchased by Michael Thomas (M.T.) Monahan from Russell Mumford. M .T. operated a 160 acre farm and then Michael's son Joseph and his wife Dorothy enjoyed retirement there. THIS ILLUSTRATION IS THE ARTISTS INTERPRETATION OF WHAT THE HOUSE COULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.