The Milanville Post Office General Store continues to function as did the many of this type of facility in years gone by. Untouched by major highways and housing development, it is the business and social center of the Milanville Historic District and part of the village which has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally built c.1850 as a company store for the Rock Glen Tannery, later known as Eli Beach and Sons, it retains both its architectural integrity and traditional function. In September of 1993 a ceremony took place at which the Upper Delaware Heritage Alliance presented a bronze plaque which was affixed to the building to recognize its historic integrity. The Alliance presented their Register of Old Houses Certificate at the same time. Postmaster Shelley Wozniak initiated a one-day-only Pictorial Cancellation with the United States Postal Service to commemorate the event. The owners of the General Store, Rocco and Mary DeGori had taken the action to get the building on the UDHA Register of Old Houses. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: VERNACULAR WITH A HINT OF COMMERCIAL ITALIANATE.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2018 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.