Waymart - On South Street in Waymart, about 150 feet from where it was originally built in 1875, stands the only remaining Gravity Railroad Depot of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company. One of the few vestiges of the canal era in Wayne County, it was placed on the Pennsylvania Inventory of Historic Places in 1976. After the Gravity System was disbanded in 1899 to be replaced by a steam locomotive railroad. the D&H sold the building to the Borough of Waymart for $125. The depot was used after its acquisition in 1900 as a Borough Hall until the 1940's when because of its condition it was relegated to use as a garage. The depot was the site of Plane No. 7 of the Gravity Railroad and on this location coal was stockpiled during the winter months. After the spring thaw the coal was weighed and shipped on to the canal terminus in Honesdale. The location therefore became known as weigh-market. and later Waymart. In 1976 the Waymart Bicentennial Committee expressed their desire to see the building restored to be used as a library, museum and meeting room. In 1995 Waymart established a Historical Society, which opened this restored building in 2007. Historic Preservation Award given in 2007 to the Waymart Area Historical Society for the rehabilitation of this property.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.