Starlight - The Ontario and Western Railroad brought vacationers up to Hancock, New York and then, on its Scranton Division, one station further on, many of them disembarked in Starlight, Pennsylvania, a romantic name selected by the Postmaster's wife from a government handbook. Mr. Underwood, an early settler from Connecticut, had built a farm on 10,000 acres. His grandson built a dam at the outlet of a pond, forming what they called Lizard Lake. Dr. Horton Underwood of the next generation, sold a parcel to his cousin Gilbert Fay who built the Inn and opened it to guests in 1909. Three generations of the Fay family operated this delightful country Inn, selling it in 1974 to Judy and Jack McMahon. The McMahons wisely rescued it from some internal "modernizing", but also added necessary amenities while keeping the turn-of-the century charm. Very little change has been made to the exterior of the simple, comfortable building. The success of the McMahons has been recognized by the "Innkeeper's Register." "Fodor's Guide." and other prestigious guidebooks.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2018 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.