Court Street - In 1831 Henry W. Stone, who owned a store in Honesdale, purchased the land from Jason Torrey on which he would build his house, between 1846 and 1850. An 1860 photo, the oldest known to exist of the house, shows a much plainer house than we see today, lacking dormer, porch and gingerbread details. Stone and his wife Catharine sold the house in 1864 to George G. Waller, the brother of their son-in-law Charles P. Waller, who lived next door. The two Wallers practiced law together and in 1876 George became the lawyer for the Wayne County Commissioners while his brother was judge. Six months after their marriage in 1888. Dr. and Mrs. Clarence E. Foster bought the house from Lizzie Waller, George's widow. After only one year and eleven days of marriage, Georgia Foster died after giving birth to a son. Dr. Foster continued to make his office on the first floor and was elected Wayne County Coroner in 1895, the same year he remarried. He died of a heart attack in his home only five years later. The house was the property of the Ely family for 52 years, purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Harty Ely in 1903. Dr. Ely was one of Honesdale's leading physicians for 40 years. After his death his wife rented sections out. The County of Wayne then owned and used the building for storage. The building was demolished on September 7, 2012 for additional parking. See a [a href=""http://www.wayneindependent.com/section?template=videodetail&vid=1828246872001&vidtitle=Demolition%20of%20the%20Henry%20Stone%20Home"" target=""_blank""]video[/a] and [a href=""http://www.wayneindependent.com/article/20120907/NEWS/120909843/0/SEARCH"" target=""_blank""]article[/a] on the Wayne Independent website for details of its demise. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: ORIGINAL STRUCTURE (ADAMS STYLE ADDED AT A LATER DATE) ITALIANATE UPPER WINDOWS AND DOORS, GOTHIC GINGERBREAD AND A GREEK REVIVAL PORCH
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.