Home of the Stourbridge Lion Replica, The First Steam Locomotive To Run in America

< Previous | Browse | Next >

The Crane House

910 Church Street - The house at 910 Church Street was built in 1845 by Attorney F. M. Crane on land owned by the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company. In 1877 Horace Menner, an owner of Menner & Company Department Store, bought the property. After his death in 1921 the house was passed on to his wife and then to his children: Robert, Mary, Henry, Fred, and Dorothy. Richard and Marian Kreitner purchased the house from the Menner estate in 1965, and in 1987 sold it to Scioto-Darby Investments, Inc., owners of Highlights for Children magazine. The original house built by F. M. Crane was in the Greek Revival Style. The Menners added the third floor with a slate roof and gables at varied levels. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: QUEEN ANNE VICTORIAN

Text by

Line Drawing by Judith Hunt

From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.

This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.