Church and Ninth Street - In the early 1850s William Dimmick, state Senator and prominent local attorney, bought the corner lot from the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company and built an eighteen room house. After his death in 1861, his nephew William H. Dimmick became the owner of the mansion, took his uncle's place in the family law firm, and married Zenas Russell's daughter Annie. The law office of Samuel and William Dimmick was on the Ninth Street side of the lot. It was there in 1859 that national Republican powers met and began the boom for Abraham Lincoln for president of the United States. The house remained in the Dimmick family until 1922 when John Krantz sold the Allen House across the street and bought the mansion. He turned it into a hotel with a capacity of forty. A Chamber of Commerce booklet dated 1923 lists the Park Hotel as one of three Honesdale hotels with rates of $3.50 and up. In 1954 James and Mae Coyne purchased the hotel. After his death Mrs. Coyne continued as proprietor and was well known for her fine meals. The building was then owned by Katheryn Lucas and August Hahn and was known as the Park Hotel and Apartments. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: ITALIANATE
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.