Irish Catholics began settling in Honesdale in 1826 and by 1830 missionary priests from New York began holding services with a parish being established in June of 1842, by Rev. Henry Fitzsimmons. It was during his pastorate that the first church was erected. This wooden structure was located at the corner of Carroll and Vine Streets directly behind the present building. In 1859, the Rev. J.J. Doherty was appointed parish priest and remained for 37 years; he was greatly respected and honored by the Honesdale community. In 1876, Father Doherty began the construction of the present bluestone church out of his own finances. The bell tower was erected in 1953.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.