The early Honesdale Lutherans began organizing a congregation during the 1840's. At first they met in private homes and later rented a dwelling on Court Street opposite Beth Israel. This group of worshippers was known by the name "Die Deutsche Kirche" (The German Church.) After the congregation received a charter from the County Court on May 16, 1847, the Delaware and Hudson Canal Co. presented the church with a lot, which was located on Church Street just south of the Whitney Mansion. The first Lutheran Church, a wooden structure, was built in 1848 during the pastorate of the first regular minister, The Reverend Franz Goodfried Zeumer. The Lutheran congregation flourished in the 1890's during the pastorate of Rev. A.O. Gallenkamp, who first introduced English into the services for the benefit of the younger members, and it was during his ministry in Honesdale that the present church site on the corner of Church and Seventh Streets was purchased and a new stone edifice constructed. This church building was dedicated in October of 1904.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.