South Canaan St. Tikhon's Monastery was dedicated on May 31, 1906, the first Russian Orthodox Monastery in America. The Wagner farm in western Wayne County was purchased in the names of Archbishop Tikhon (later Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia) and Hieromonk Arsney for $2580. A small wooden church was built across the road from the Monastery. When the church was destroyed by fire the Monastery church was used, and later enlarged by encasing the original building and expanding it. The church glows with color and light. The iconostasis divides the sanctuary from the rest of the church and has three tiers of icons depicting in vivid color the major feast days, the apostles, and the saints. In 1938 the St. Tikhon's Theological Seminary was opened and today provides theological education to more than fifty students. In May of 1995 Fr. Alexis, a native of Wilkes-Barre and an early missioner, was canonized at St. Tikhon's. His beautifully carved reliquary stands near the altar. The Bell Tower and Icon Repository was dedicated in 1995, the gift of John S. and Lucille J. Guzey. It houses their extraordinary icon collection, many of which are used in special services throughout the year. Thousands of pilgrims annually come from around the world to worship at St. Tikhon's Monastery. It is an island of beauty and spirituality, quietly fulfilling its mission to pray and to teach.
Line Drawing by
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.