Clinton Township This large, well-maintained Victorian house, once known as the Cold Water Tavern. was constricted in 1819 by Levi "Captain" Bennett for John Griswold, a farmer in Clinton Township. Cattle drovers, who traveled the Belmont and Easton Turnpike, rested at the Cold Water Tavern and sheltered their livestock in a barn located on the farm. The history of this house is also part of the Curtis family history. Among the first settlers in Clinton Township were Rev. Henry Curtis and his wife Eliza, who emigrated to America from England in the early 1800's. Rev. Curtis founded the Clinton Baptist Church and ministered at Hawley and Bethany. Their son Henry B. married John Griswold's granddaughter, Louisa. The young couple took possession of the Griswold farm in 1852, and it has remained in the Curtis family until this day. In 1915 their daughter. Augusta, who was a missionary among the Native Americans in western United States, inherited the property. In 1947 Henry and Louisa Curtis' grandson and his wife, Hobart and Lois Curtis, became the next generation to own the homestead. In 1981 Dorothy Curtis Hornbeck, another grand-child, and her husband George owned the house. This has been the Curtis homestead for over 150 years.
Line Drawing by
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2018 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.