519 Church Street. Hawley This two-story commercial building remained in the Schlager family through five generations. George Schlager had it constructed in 1890 for his sons. Edward and Charles. Here they operated a general merchandise store called Edward Schlager & Brother. Eventually the partnership was dissolved. and Edward became sole owner. Fanny Schlager Ames and her sister Elizabeth Schlager inherited the building from their brother Edward. They rented it to the Caruth Dry Goods Store. Their next tenant was the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company. which had its office and showroom in the building for twenty years. Elizabeth Schlager passed away in 1930 and Fanny Schlager Ames in 1934. The next generation who owned the building was Fanny Schlager Ames' daughter and son-in-law, Julia Ames James and Harold James. On July I. 1954 they opened a gift shop in the building called the Craft House. Julia was in charge of the shop until her husband's retirement from the Hawley High School faculty in 1961. Together they continued the business until 1967, when poor health forced Harold to retire once again. After their parents' retirement. Fanny James Marshall and Joan James Douglass became the owners of both the building and the business. Fanny left the business in 1969, and Joan operated the Craft House for eighteen years, until 1986. The facade of this lovely brick historic building looks much as it did in the early years. Today the building houses the Cultural and Creative Arts Center, which stresses art, dance, drama, fitness, and music.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.