Rt. T343, Sterling Township Jeremiah Gilpin purchased this farm from Simon Bortree in 1889. The Gilpin ownership has continued since then: Richard U. and George I. Gilpin, 1902: Richard D. and Emma Nevin Gilpin, January 1931; Emma Nevin Gilpin, May 1931; Ella R. Nevin Gilpin and Mae Gilpin, 1955; Ella, Mae, and Elizabeth Gilpin, 1965; and Robert L. and Elizabeth Gilpin Wood, 1998. The first house built by Jeremiah Gilpin is located next to this one and is used as a wood-shed. Attached to the outside of that building is a beautiful large stone fireplace and chimney, which can be seen from the road. The exact year this house was built is unknown, but the date "1860" was chiseled on the inside cellar way, as well as the date "1875" on the tie post. It is believed the original house had two rooms, and during the early years the present rooms were added. A photo from the 1860's shows this house looked very much as it does today. In June 1899 Jeremiah Gilpin purchased the old Sterling Church for sixty dollars at an auction. The two front doors, as well as other features from the church, became part of this house. The windows in the side door came from a Model T Ford windshield. Wood paneling used in the south living room and the kitchen was cut from trees on this farm. The wood was hand sanded and stained by the women of the family. For over one hundred years this house has passed from one family member to another. The Gilpin family can be very proud of their homestead that has been well maintained throughout all these years.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.