101 Fall Avenue, Hawley John S. O'Connor was born in Londonderry, Ireland, on June 6, 1831. He came to America and served in the Civil War. In 1867 he was hired by Christian Dorflinger as foreman of his cutting shop. Dorflinger's cut glass was recognized as the finest in America, and O'Connor helped the company gain that recognition with the cut-glass patterns and tools he invented. He remained with Dorflingers for twenty-three years. In 1890 O'Connor left Christian Dorflinger and built the bluestone factory located at the foot of Wallenpaupack Falls in Hawley. There he manufactured some of the finest cut-glass pieces, using Dorflinger blanks. The business became very successful. His cut-glass submission to the Paris Exposition gained him the first prize. During Grover Cleveland's administration, O'Connor received a large order from the White House, which included engraved water bottles, flagons, bowls, and jugs. An order for two hundred wine glasses was sent to St. Petersburg, Russia. Later O'Connor started a factory in Goshen, New York, where he used crystal blanks imported from France. He died October 16, 1916, one year after his good friend Christian Dorflinger passed away. O'Connor built this three-story, fifteen-room Queen Anne style house in 1880. The house has circular wrap-around porches as well as elaborate cupolas and bay windows on the second and third stories. John S. O'Connor's daughter Clotilda Burke owned the house until 1932. It was the property of Eugene McCarthy from 1960 until 2002. Douglas McCarthy made extensive restoration, using an original photograph as a guide.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.