c1854-1857 1310 N. Main Street, Honesdale William Estabrook ( -1864) was a wagon and carriage maker by trade operating his business with his partner, Stephen Torrey, in the barn behind the house. He lived in the house with his wife, Clara and son Charles until he died in 1864. At this time, Clara sold the house, barn and property to John K. Jenkins. John K. Jenkins was a clerk and Prothonotary of Wayne County at the age of 24. He also purchased Knapp's hardware and continued this business until his death. On June 6, 1860 he married Susan Eno from Seelyville. They had nine children. Mr. Jenkins died in his house in 1878. Susan remained in the house until 1908, when she sold it to John E. Krantz. In 1898, John E. Krantz entered into partnership to manufacture cut glass with a Mr. Smith. In 1899 G.W. Sell was admitted and the business became Krantz Smith and Sell. Krantz remained in the business until 1922 when colored glass became popular. He then sold out to his partners and bought the Park Hotel, Honesdale, which be ran until his death in 1945. Architectural style: Victorian, Stick.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.