Cochecton Turnpike, Tyler Hill The house illustrated, located on the Cochecton Turnpike in Tyler Hill, was built in 1887. This is authenticated by the date etched on a window pane in the house. John Olver purchased the land from Lavina Tyler in 1874. Members of the Tyler family were among the original settlers in the area. Tyler Hill (at one time known as Tylerville) was named for the family. In 1916 John Olver died intestate, and Louis Ferber purchased the property in 1919. Russell Welsh and his wife, Roberta Lord Welsh, became the owners when they purchased the farm from Ferber in 1926. (Roberta Lord's parents were the owners of the three-story Empire style house located at the top of the hill in Tyler Hill.) Russell and Roberta Welsh owned the farm as well as a milk route. Mrs. Welsh survived her husband who passed away in 1964. The farm had been in the Welsh family for approximately forty years. Vincent and Roseanne Livingston purchased the house and four acres from John Bennett in 1985. The one-and-a-half story house has a steeply pitched roof with decorative ginger-bread, which also is duplicated on the front dormer. The facade has the original board and batten. The original shutters have wooden hinges. Also the bay windows are original; the panes are six-over-two. The architectural style is Folk Victorian. The pink and rose trim on the exterior of the house makes it especially attractive.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.