836 Church Street, Hawley The 1872 Hawley map shows the town was divided into four areas, with Atkinson owning a large portion of land in this section of Hawley. The Solliday house appears on the map. In I849 Joseph Atkinson agreed to sell this lot to Joseph Solliday for $100. The Atkinson heirs gave the Sollidays a clear title in 1866. A deed dated 1876 transferred the property from Joseph and Anna Solliday to John S. Atkinson. Another deed dated the same year returned ownership to Anna Solliday. The amount recorded on each deed was $4000. (Anna Atkinson Solliday and John S. Atkinson were brother and sister. Their parents were Anna Kimble Atkinson and Joseph Atkinson, Sr.) An early photo shows the Cromwell & Solliday Store was located in this part of town. At one time Joseph Solliday and Charles V. Taft were business partners. Eventually he purchased Taft's interest in the dry goods and grocery store, and continued with several other business ventures in Hawley. In 1922, after Anna Solliday's death, Delphine Daniels acquired the property from Anna Solliday's heirs through Harry J. Atkinson, administrator. (Delphine was Anna Solliday's niece: her parents were Ira and Margaret Atkinson Daniels.) In 1957 William and Anna Wappner purchased the property from Maurice and Mary Bobst. The next owner was their son John Wappner, and in 2000 he sold the house to Lawrence and Karen Wood. This twelve-room Victorian house was built in 1870. The full-length one-story front porch has an ornamental pattern, which is repeated on the side dormers' verge boards. The decorative pediments above the windows are repeated above the double front doors. The houses in this area of town reflect the prosperity that existed in that era.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.