315 Church Street. Hawley In 1844 the New York Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church identified this area as a "mission territory," and appointed missionary, Rev. Elbert A. Young, to the "Lackawaxen Circuit." In January 1846 the second missionary, Rev. J. D. Safford. preached the first recorded sermon by a Methodist minister in the community then called Falls Port. By the year 1848 Methodist services were being conducted in the local schoolhouse. In 1849 the first resident Methodist clergyman was appointed to Falls Port. In 1850 a church meeting was held at the schoolhouse to elect trustees for the new church. Land had been donated by the Delaware and Hudson Coal Company to build a church structure. That year the newly formed church was accepted into the Wyoming Annual Conference as a member of the Honesdale District. The cornerstone of the present building was laid in the same year. making it the oldest continuous house of worship in the community. From 1924 until 1995 nearby United Methodist Churches were added to the Hawley United Methodist Church. making it a "two- and three-point" charge. For the first time in over 70 years, in 1995 this church was on its own, and able to support a full-time minister. The facade of the church building had changed only slightly until major renovations to the original structure took place around 1900, 1960, and 1990. The addition of two buildings commenced in the fall of 1998 and was completed in the fall of 2000. Stained glass windows are located on either side and above the recessed entrance door, as well as above the side entrance door. There is a small steeple above the side entrance door. This is truly a splendid old building that has been well maintained.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.