730 Hudson Street, Hawley The Delaware and Hudson canal ceased operation in 1898. The canal was directly behind this building, with a steep incline between the two. In 1899 the Delaware and Hudson Company sold this property to Lucy Bishop for $1200. It remained in the Bishop family for 66 years. Lucy and Peter Bishop had five children. Fannie Bishop became the owner and kept it until 1940, when it was sold to Irene M. Bishop, in 1965. Irene Bishop sold it to Kenneth Freethy. In 1972 Edgar and Carol Deutsch purchased the property from Freethy, and he sold it to the present owner, Barbara Corrigan, in 1979. The Delaware and Hudson office building was next door on Hudson Street, but the purpose of this building is unknown. An early deed mentions a blacksmith shop located in the rear of the property. The building has three floors. The first floor is on the lower entrance, which led to and from the canal. There is a small foyer on the first level where people were received before entering another room. The second floor entrance is on Hudson street (at that time called First Street). Stoves heated this building. This is apparent because there is no evidence that fireplaces existed. The house has the Greek Revival influence. The front windows are the original, six over six. The door is four-paneled, with pilasters on either side. The kitchen and living room are the original size, as well as the panty and storage room. Original wide-plank flooring remains. The side porch was a later addition.
Text by Marge Hook
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.