911 Hudson Street. Hawley Deeds show that Milton S. Kimble of Hawley bought two parcels of land from William C. Conkling, the first in 1880, and the second in 1883, with the deeds filed in 1885 for $256. Tax records of 1886 show that Kimble had a wood frame house with a metal roof at 911 Hudson Street. The property was sold in 1903 to Joseph Runyon and again in 1945 to Louis and Mary Weiss. For part of that time it was rented with one apartment upstairs and one down. Richard and Margaret Murphy bought the house in 1953 and returned it to its original plan as a large one family house. They raised their five children there. enjoying the ample gardens and the very old barn in the back. A stone in the front wall is inscribed, " Harry W. Kimble, June 9. 1899." The Victorian style house had a front porch that was removed during the renovation. The double front doors were replaced but the rectangular sidelights, transom and decorative crown are original, as is the ship lap siding. The eave brackets, gable design and doorway details are typical of late I800's architecture. The entry hall has a stairway with a walnut balustrade as well as a hallway to the back of the house. A spacious bay window enhances the living room. The dining room is behind it with a door to a rear patio. A library off the entry on the right leads to the roomy kitchen. Upstairs are three bedrooms and a bath. The woodwork and plaster are original. The high ceilings and two-over-two paned windows contribute to the airy feeling of this charming old house.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.