Conklin Hill Road, Damascus Township Three miles north of Damascus is a beautiful ninety-year-old church that was apparently built near the foundation of an earlier church that had burned. In August of 1913 William Boults gave one-third acre from his farm to the trustees for the church. The 1914 charter states. "the said corporation is formed for the purpose of the support of public worship. according to the faith. doctrine. disciplinc and usages of the Methodist. Presbyterian and Baptist Churches." Its distinctive design was the work of E.D. Bennett. architect, and master builder Lowe from Callicoon. New York. Jacob Keesler used oxen to skid dead chestnut trees out of Swago Lake for the building. The church was completed in 1915. In 1929 Floyd Deighton. then owner of the Boults farm. donated additional land to the church. Next to it is the very old Conklin Hill Cemetery that has a separate Board of Trustees. The brown-shingled church has a square hell tower with arches on three sides and a gabled entry porch. The interior entry double doors open in the sanctuary with an aisle that slants from the entry to the altar, with nine rows of pews. The half circle extension behind the raised dais is an unusual feature of the building. Light through the beautiful stained glass windows illuminates the old wooden pews, bead board ceiling, white walls and the glowing wood below the chair rail. The church was for many years used for services, Sunday school classes and community events. It is still used occasionally for weddings, funerals. and other special occasions. Melvin Deighton is president of the Board of Trustees. This lovely building is a testament to the faith, hard work, and dedication of many local families.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.