303 Fourteenth Street, Honesdale The Victorian Queen Anne house at the corner of West and Fourteenth Street in Honesdale was built on a lot sold by John Torrey to Roswell Miller of Milwaukee in 1888 and conveyed to his sister Sarah Miller the following year. Tax records show Sarah Miller paid $1500 tax on the house and lot in 1896 and sold it to Thomas B. Clark, manufacturer, the next year. Clark sold to William Foster and he to DuBois Weston in 1908. Two generations of the Fisher family had the house for thirty years. In 1965 Attorney Leigh Maxwell bought the properly. Dr. Eden D. Soliman and his wife Arju had the property for four years, and they sold to William Davis. MD, and his wife Joanne K. Davis in 1984. The three-story clapboard house has a full front porch with turned spindles, shingling and timbers under the front and side gables, distinctive chimneys. Bay windows on the eastern side of the first and second floor have decorative side timbers. The large windows have unusual three tiers of small colored glass panes at the top. The lovely old iron fence and gate were found in a nearby town and installed by Dr. Davis. A tall cedar hedge encloses the back yard and its patio and gardens. French doors lead from the entry hall to the living room with a fireplace decorated with floral glazed tiles. Pocket doors lead into a library with bookshelves and a blue tiled fireplace. All of the first floor has narrow oak floors. A dining room, kitchen, laundry, bath, and a side and a rear porch complete the first floor. The second floor has three bedrooms and two baths with original pine floors. Two bedrooms on the third floor were originally servants' rooms. This spacious and elegant house has adapted to the changes from the 1890s to 2005 with great style and an easy grace.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.