Long Ridge Road, Texas Township The illustrated farmhouse is located on the Long Ridge Road (the old Bethany and Dingman's Choice Turnpike). In 1875 George Compton paid Christian Dorflinger ten dollars for this land. Twenty-eight years later, in 1903, Christian Dorflinger's youngest son Charles purchased the property from Joseph and Louise Mauer. According to county records Charles Dorflinger purchased five properties that year. In 1901, at the age of 43, Charles Dorflinger married Cornelia Decker. a company employee. He managed C. Dorflinger & Sons from 1881 until the business no longer existed. After the Dorflinger factory closed in 1921. Charles and his wife continued to live in their home on Charles Street, in White Mills, but they spent summers in Cape Cod. In 1922 the Dortlingers sold this property to Charles and Myrtle Davis for $2,500. Mr. Davis took great pride in the fruit orchard he nurtured, which is located behind the house. Michael and Louise Brennan purchased this house in 1984 from the widowed MN. Davis. This is a fine example of a well maintained early 1900s Wayne County farmhouse. It has clap-board siding, double-hung windows, and a wrap-around porch. The house has its original floors and woodwork. It is part of the Dorflinger/White Mills history. Demolished in 2007.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.