Indian Orchard, Texas Township Going east on Route 6 near the Indian Orchard corner of Route 652 was a beautiful old house set well back from the road. It was built about 1865 by glassmaker Christian Dorflinger who had purchased the property from William Weaver in 1863. In 1867 Dorflinger deeded seventeen acres to Lutgard Smith, widow of Adam Smith, for $2250 and in 1874 deeded an additional 113 acres to her. The property has stayed in the same family until the present time. In 1886 Mrs. Smith deeded the property to Anthony and Mary Smith Rickert. In 1925 it was transferred to their son Louis and his wife Margaret Rickert. It is now owned by Dave Rickert, a grandson of Louis, and the proprietor of Garage Mix Candy. The property had been a farm for much of the 125 years. Louis Rickert worked as glass cutter in the Dorflinger shop until it closed in 1921 and then worked at several other glass shops before setting up his own operation next to his house. Photographs of some of his glass can be seen in "The Glass Industry in Wayne County, Pennsylvania 1807-Present" by Walter Barbe and Kurt Reed. A huge old locust tree shaded the two story frame house and the one-story wing that was always used as the kitchen. The double hung windows had flattened arch pediments and shutters like those seen in the early photographs. The center doorway in the main part of the building was replaced with a window many years ago. The living room wainscoting, the fireplace, and the center chimney were original. The view from the back porch of the wide lawn, the peaceful Lackawaxen River, and the pastures on the far side made one imagine that soon the herd of cows will ford the river and come to the barn for milking. In 2007 this building was destroyed to make way for Rusty Palmer's new store.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.