Golf Hill Road, Texas Township This house across from the Honesdale Golf Club on Golf Hill Road near Honesdale was built around 1914 as a summer home for Henry Scott Salmon, cashier of the Wayne County Savings Bank. The land had been for many years part of the Cole farm and later was sold to Henry Hartung who sold to Salmon. In 1924 E.L. Burns of Scranton purchased the property, and in 1948 Dr. Elmer and Barbara Burns Preston bought title. Daniel M. Eno, in his Notes on Beech Grove, 1900 and later, relates that " the house was purchased and completely rebuilt as a year round home by Dr. Preston." Later owners were Maureen and Robert Malmgren and Gilbert and Elsie Sealfon. Stonework and double flag steps leading to the full-length porch were part of the 1948 changes. The front door has a lovely old four-light transom and sidelights. The interior is spacious with high-ceiling rooms, original oak floors and many windows. A colonial brick fireplace in the living room has the traditional woodbin and book shelves, with the back wall of the chimney used as a brick wall in the kitchen. A large folk art mural in the hall depicting the buildings, animals, and people of an early farmstead was painted by Bobbie Preston, dated 1952. and has been care-fully preserved by later owners. The hall to the lowest level is papered with old National Geographic maps. Gerald and Marie Weniger then owned the property and did extensive landscaping. There is a stone fireplace on the flagstone patio in the rear. Trees, shrubs, and flowers surround the entire area. A covered walkway leads to the garage and a barn on the other side of the house completes the picturesque scene. As one stands on the porch and looks over the green acres of the Golf Club to the distant hills, one feels surrounded by the beauty and peace of Wayne County.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.