Beech Grove Road and Old Salem Pike, Texas Township Daniel Eno grew up on Colebrook Farm, a dairy farm immediately north of this house on Beech Grove Road. Soon after graduating from Penn State. Dan met Laura Grazier who lived on his rural postal delivery route in Clarion County, PA. After their marriage in 1917, Daniel & Laura returned to Wayne County. After their second child Gerald was born in 1922, they decided to build a home on a portion of Dan's parents' farm. A corner, sloping 2 acre lot was chosen since it contained a spring for water. Building probably commenced in the spring of 1923. John C. Horst signed his name on a stairwell board on Sept. 26, 1923 before he lathed it over. The house contained no fireplace and was heated by coal because of Dan's fear of fire. He had seen many house fires while a member of the Seelyville Fire Company. The couple raised their seven children to adulthood while Dan pursued various elected offices including tax collector, and Wayne County Commissioner. Dan died in 1971 and Laura sold the house to Peter & Gail Margraf of Lynbrook. NY in 1976: they sold it to Brandt & Ann Dayton of NYC in 1980. Sally & Ronald Talaga purchased the property in 1981 and spent twenty years extensively renovating the house, constructing the detached garage, sheep shed and fencing, and planting fruit trees, grapes, and perennial beds. They did the work themselves and raised two children while Ron practiced family medicine and Sally was the Director of the Wayne County Historical Society. Architectural Style: American Foursquare with Victorian detailing added during renovation
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.