Starrucca Borough Elisha P.Strong was born in 1818. He joined the militia and was elevated to the rank of major. A deed dated 1852 conveyed land in Starrucca, including a 410 acre parcel, from the John Sherwood estate to Elisha P. Strong. John Campbell and John Duffiela surveyed those tracts by warrants dated 1788. In 1852 Elisha P. Strong and Guernsey Osborne became partners in the Starrucca Tannery. Major Strong and his family moved from New York to Starrucca in 1862. His businesses included the tannery, lumbering, and breeding registered cattle. The 1872 map of Wayne County shows E. P Strong owned this house, as well as most of the houses and land in Starrucca. It is not known if this was ever the family's residence. Major Strong died in 1895. His widow Estelle continued to own this property until 1921. In 2001 Dennis and Donna Corrigan purchased this house. Mrs. Corrigan is well known for restoring historic houses in Wayne County. The original house was built around or slightly before 1800. Hand-cut nails used in the construction of the kitchen are evidence this section of the house predated the later Greek Revival front addition. It is a plank house with board-and-batten siding. The rooms have wide hemlock plank flooring; the earliest have plank doors with original latch hardware. Chair railings are part of the kitchen and dining room walls. Wide-board plank wainscot is featured in the old summer kitchen. Mrs. Corrigan has kept the interior and exterior restoration as close as possible to the original. This is a testament to early nineteenth century life. Historic Preservation Award given in 2003 to Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of this property.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.