207 Park Street. Honesdale This elegant house was built in 1876 by B. L. Wood and according to Wood's advertisement was "purchased by William Weiss for a consideration of $6500." The spacious Victorian Queen Anne house has a cross-gabled roof and the asymmetrical facade typical of that style. Porches on both the first and second floor have classic columns, grouped in two and three on the lower front porch. A long side porch provides a quiet retreat. All of the main rooms face the southeast, as that land was not yet developed in 1874. The large two-over-two windows and the front and side bay windows on both floors provide ample light to the interior. The double front doors with etched glass give entry to a roomy foyer with a staircase on the left. A large parlor and dining room are on the right with a fireplace that serves both rooms. Oak floors and woodwork, unusually high ceilings. ornate plaster ceiling medallions, and decorative plaster moldings all testify to the skills of the builders. A large kitchen. and three more rooms and a bath complete the first floor. There are five bedrooms on the second floor. William Weiss was born in Bohemia in 1819. received a fine education there and came to America in 1848. He came to Wayne County that year and soon became established as a merchant. William Weiss was an organizer of Temple Beth Israel. served many years on the school board, and held several county offices. He was twice married and had six children. The house stayed in the Weiss family until 1925. Among the later owners were Alfonso and Corina Williamson and Donald and Anice Jengo. Stanley and Susan Winters purchased the house in 2000. They have had the house painted in lovely, soft colors that blend with the neighborhood. Extensive gardens planted by the Winters surround the house. The carriage barn at the rear of the property provides a beautiful background to the trees. flowers, shrubs and flagstone walks. William Weiss would be delighted to see his property so lovingly preserved.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.