Home of the Stourbridge Lion Replica, The First Steam Locomotive To Run in America

< Previous | Browse | Next >

William H. Stanton House

c1871 1318 N. Main Street, Honesdale William J. Stanton and his wife, Elizabeth J. purchased the newly built house in 1871. William probably owned a shoe store near the D.&H. Railroad Station in Honesdale. Just 13 years later the Stantons sold the property to Lyman O. Rose. Lyman O. Rose was born in Orange County. N.Y. in 1835. From boyhood he was employed by the D.&H. Canal Co., rising through the ranks through Division Superintendent in his home county to General Superintendent, when he established his home and office in Honesdale. Rose served as treasurer of the Honesdale Electric Light, Heat and Power Co. and as a Director of the Honesdale National Bank. The following year the Roses sold the property to William Krantz. A native of Honesdale, he was one of the founders of the Honesdale Shoe Co., having been employed by different shoe enterprises from the age of 12. Krantz also served as Postmaster of Honesdale. Architectural style: Victorian, Queen Anne.

Text by

Line Drawing by Judith Hunt

From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.

This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.