Home of the Stourbridge Lion Replica, The First Steam Locomotive To Run in America

< Previous | Browse | Next >

Lemnitzer Home

1423 West Street. Honesdale William and Hannah Blockberger Lcmnitzcr built this house in 1898. They had three sons: Coe died at a young age. Ernest eventually retired to the Honesdale area, and Lyman L. became Honesdale's most auspicious citizen. Lyman L. Lcmnitzcr was born in this house on August 29, 1899. He married Katherine Tryon of Honesdale. They had two children, a son Brigadier General William Lyman Lemnitzer, retired, and a daughter Lois. Lyman L. Lemnitzer graduated from West Point Military Academy, Class of 1920. In the years that followed, his military career was marked with great distinction. He became Commanding General, United States Armed Forces Far East, Eighth Army (1955), Commander-in-Chief, United Nations Command and Governor Ryukyus (1955-57), Chief of Staff U.S. Army (1959-60), Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff (1960-62), Commander-in-Chief European Command (1962-69): and Supreme Allied Commander Europe (1963-69). General Lyman L. Lemnitzer died November 12, 1988 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Lois Lemnitzer lived in the family home until her death in 2007. It is a beautiful three-story structure that exists much as it did when the General spent his vacations here. Among its unique features are two bay windows and a stained glass window located on the north side of the house. It is an important part of Honesdale's history not only because it is a fine example of Victorian architecture, but also because it was home to a Honesdale resident who became part of world history.

Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden

Line Drawing by William Amptman

From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.

This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.