Rock Lake Road. Lakewood An 1873 picture of this fine old house shows the Davall family with five children proudly seated in front of the house. On a rack near the porch are seven of the large old cans in which milk was shipped and to the right is an apple orchard. William Davall came to Preston in the 1820s, did lumbering and farming, and had purchased part of the farm from Cornelius Reilly in 1853. His son, George Davall was the next owner of the farm George and Emma A. Davall sold the property in 1901 to the Henry C. Niles. husband of Lucy Davall Niles. He was a postal worker in Preston. In 1944 the property was sold to their daughter, Marjorie Niles Brooker. She was for many years a teacher in the Preston schools. In 2000 Albert and Corinne Brooker sold the farm to Joseph Calamari and his wife Laurie Scott. They have a small daughter. Sophie, and have done extensive renovation. The old farmhouse is in classic Gothic style with a center, front-facing gable, and full width front porch, steeply pitched roof and decorated vergeboards. The windows have pointed arches and the typical decorations at the center of the gable and gable dormers. In the back of the house are two large barns and a very old well. The Davall house illustrates the prosperity of the hard working early settlers of northern Wayne County. Tony and Donna Micheletti purchased the property in July 2010 and since then have done extensive work on house.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.