Honesdale In 1875 Protection Company No. 3 purchased this steam engine new from Silsby Manufacturing Co. of Seneca Falls, NY. for $4,700, including a hose cart. The steamer was named the "A.M.Atkinson" in honor of the President of Honesdale's Town Council. Despite its efficiency it did not always master the fires that took place. These included the Allen House barn, Whitney Brothers stables and nearby building on May 18,1877; much of Seelyville, destroyed on April 24. 1879, and Jadwin's Drug Store on September 1, 1882. The engine was rebuilt by the LaFrance Fire Engine Co. of Elmira,NY, in 1890 and saw service until 1936. It was completely restored in 1986 and, according to a 1991 newspaper article, it "has not failed to place first in muster competition ever since". This oldest operable Silsby steamer in the United States can be seen at Protection Company #3's fire hall on the corner of North Main and Park Street, Honesdale, and in local parades.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.