304 Church Street - Hawley David Bishop sold the land in Hawley that this house sits on to James Weldon in 1857. Soon after purchasing the land. James Weldon erected a public house known as the Stone House. The tavern was in existence until the beginning of the 1900s. It then became residence of the descendants of James Weldon until 1953 when John and Mary Jean Boyle sold the property to William and Gene Adams. William Adams. a prominent Hawley resident, was president of the Hawley Library's Board of Directors for twenty years. The Hawley Library addition was named in his honor. He was also instrumental in the development of the Dorflinger Glass Museum. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are now deceased, but the Old Stone House still remains in the Adams family. The Old Stone House was built of native blue stone that came from a nearby quarry. The stone and wood frame construction has eighteen-inch-thick walls that are plastered on the inside. The wood floors and roof are timber construction, which remain in excellent condition. The main floor is adorned with hammered tin ceilings; the main stairway and woodwork remain original. The house once had a large front porch that was removed in the 1940s. In subsequent years a garage was added.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.