Milanville. Damascus Township In 1883, Charles E. Beach sold the land this house was built on to his brother, J. Howard Beach, for one dollar. J. Howard Beach was a prominent Wayne County resident. In 1861 he became Milanville's first postmaster and was chosen to represent Wayne and Pike counties in the State Legislature in 1871 and 1872. He was president of the Wayne County Agricultural Society and a director of the Wayne County Savings Bank. He was part-owner of the family business, E. Beach and Sons Tannery, a partner with his brother Charles in a store in Cochecton, New York, and part-owner with his brother-in-law in a Nebraska cattle business. He was in the lumber business and involved in the Cochecton Bridge Company. J. Howard Beach married his bride in 1884. Alfred Mathew's History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties describes Mrs. Beach as being "a lady of many excellencies of character, and presides with dignity and grace over the hospitable home at Milanville." The present owners, George and Virginia Geimer, purchased the property from Ida Coladner in 1979. This Victorian house has a one-story wraparound porch, symmetrical facade and paired interior chimneys. Decorative pediments, common for the period. adorn the windows. This is a lovely example of a house built during the late nineteenth century.
Text by Marge Hook and Sally Eno Soden
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.